Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Bite and Vodafone, get the f**k off my newspage!

While idling away some time here at the big SAP conference in Paris, I decided to check out what was going on back in Latvia. So I checked out my Apollo page and got just the barest glimpse of a story that the Wacko-loonie Light (the serious wacko-loonies are most of the other political parties) party New Era (Jaunais Laiks) was leading the polls. Then bang, an impenetrable green curtain rolled down telling me what a hotshit partnership Bite and Vodafone is. I am sure they are, but my clicking to make the Green Curtain go away took me to an even bigger advertisment page.
Now I do think Bite is cool and if they get HSDPA going as promised, I may even get a second SIM card just for that, say, next summer if the coverage reaches my summer house. But for fuck's sake I don't like this pesterware dropping down in front of the main news item and forcing me to read this ad. It is bad enough that there are some other things randomly floating around, like shit in a duckpond. Who thought of this, anyway and how well are these advertising agencies serving their clients? I realize that banners and sidebars are ignored, but there has to be a kinder, gentler way to push your ads.
Also, Vodafone just lost enough money to buy Latvia two nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, does it have to spend its advertising money on this irritating shit?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anoying ads? Use adblock! I think this should be aviable in Camino web browser for Mac too. I'm using Mozilla Firefox with adblock for most of news sites. Suddenly there are no banners with bright colors around text - much easier to read.

Anonymous said...

Juris,
Vodafone wrote down some German investment assets. The Germans have not revalued them for decades :-) If you look on profit from normal business operations, Vodafone has earned a slightly more on year to year basis.

Juris Kaža said...

You are, of course, right, Anonymous the second. TeliaSonera did the same, their paper/accountant created losses amounted to a guided missile cruiser :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hey hey..........Karlis Jansons.....ka_jan@yahoo.com...........am just trying to get in touch with you..maybe this will work....send an email my way